Receiving Mail to ROOT User

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jul 21 13:42:44 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 21.07.2004 schrieb Gordon Keehn um 15:29:

>     With earlier (i.e. Redhat 9 and prior) releases I was able to
> process root's mail in the Netscape/Mozilla client, setting the server
> address to localhost.  Since upgrading to Fedora Core 1 and now 2, that
> doesn't seem to be working any more.  The client is continuously
> "Connecting to localhost".  I don't recall having to start any kind of
> mail server before, but it has been a while and my memory is
> increasingly dusty.  Can anyone tell me how to get root's mail without
> actually logging in to the root ID and using "mail"?
>     Thanks,
> Gordon Keehn

You will need to forward root's mail to a normal user account by using
the aliases file. /etc/aliases already contains a line, which is
actually commented. Modify it to let root's mail go to your username.
Then run "newaliases" command to make changes active - given that you
use Sendmail.

Then you'll have to run an IMAP/POP3 server to access your mail through
a GUI client. Install dovecot if that is not already installed. The POP3
service should then work out of the box.

Alexander

P.S. You had never (not with RH9 nor with prior releases) the ability to
access the root account for checking his mail using a GUI client. IMAP
and POP3 access to the root account is strictly prohibited because of
severe security reasons.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 15:37:20 up 1 day, 19:29, load average: 0.52, 0.49, 0.47