turn off laptop screen

Simon admin at thelight.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 14:28:08 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:25, Simon wrote:
>
>>Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>>>You can use this

>>Thanks, ive managed to get the screen to turn itself off via crontab
>>using this command, however, i cant get it to turn back on without
>>manual intervention. Im using the command
>>
>>/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force on
>>
>>Which doesnt do anything, although the command registers in the cron
>>log. From the man page i think that this command does exist. Am I
>>missing something?
>

> I'm not sure but I usually have to wake it up by manual intervention.
>
> Moving the mouse, stuffs like that..
>
> what exactly is your requirement such that you need crontab to actually
> turn it on and off?
>
> Sound funny to me.

OK I managed to get it working by placing the xset commands inside files
which have been set as executable, then telling crontab to execute the
files instead of directly executing the xset command itself.

The reason for wanting this is that the laptop its on is going to be
used as a viewing client for a pc based cctv system in our home. Using
zoneminder on a main pc in the spare bedroom, this laptop is going to
sit downstairs and connect via a wireless network so we can see the
camera's on the screen downstairs without wires going all over the
house. So, I simply wanted the monitor to go off at night when noone
will be watching it, and go back on again in the morning when we get up.
I dont want to put it fully into standby as the machine is also used for
a small mysql server and so this seemed the best solution for what I want.