Playing encrypted DVDs with Xine

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 21 15:54:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:10:13 +0100,
  Jim Higson <jh at 333.org> wrote:

> Yes, just about every DVD I've played in the past has been commercial, and
> therefore probably encrypted. I'm not sure why this one is different.
>
> If you ask me when Xine says "you can or can't install/use libdvdcss
> to be able to read this disc" there should be a button that says "My country
> allows playing of this disc". Where is it illegal to use decss anyway?

The US. Thanks to lobbying buy the entertainment industry the US government
is exporting prohibitions on circumvention to other coutries as well.
Part of the USA - Australia trade agreement require Australia to implement
some form of the DCMA there. I have seen reports that the EU may be getting
a version of the DMCA.