what is Core 2?

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Jul 21 16:15:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:06 -0400, jabmist wrote:
> I am a little confused as to what Core 1 and Core 2 are.
>
> If I installed core 1 and am up2date on all updates,
> is that the same as core 2?
>
> Can someone point me to a website that explains this?
Fedora Core 1, and Fedora Core 2 are two different products. Staying up
to date with Fedora Core 1, will not mean you are running Fedora Core 2.

Example 1: Fedora Core 1, comes with XFree86 4. some thing or other,
even with the most recent up dates. Fedora Core 2 come with xorg 6.7
some thing or other.
Example 2: Fedora Core 1 comes with the 2.4 kernel, Fedora Core 2 comes
with 2.6 kernel
Example 3: Fedora Core 1 comes with gnome 2.4, Fedora Core 2 comes with
gnome 2.6

In each transition you will see major and minor version changes that are
highly unlikely to appear in previous versions.

In Fedora Core 3, we may have Gnome 2.8, SELinux enabled Mozila 1.7 (FC1
was 1.4, FC2 1.6).

It's like Redhat 7.1, 8, 9.

If that is of any help?

--