[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 18:03:49 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 13:16, James Wilkinson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just swapped in a new motherboard to replace one with data
>> errors here and there.
>>
>> Biostar M7NCD-PRO with athlon 2800XP, 1Gb of dimms.
>>
>> Two problems remain:
>>
>> No sound, no onboard networking
>>
>> I have the old net card in and running ok, but I'd like to save a
>> slot and use the newer onboard LAN port.  However, when I attempt
>> to turn it on in the bios, it then asks me for a MAC address to
>> use.  I was under the impression that this was hardcoded, silly
>> me, but what do I use to make sure its unique?
>
>Sigh.
>
>Yes, it should be hard-coded. Probably the Windows drivers make up a
>number and run with it. This is completely against the rules, but
> with 48 bits of randomness, they're very unlikely to get caught.
>
>(The point about a MAC address is that it should be unique on the
>network.

I was under the impression it should be unique globally.  Is this not
a piece of every tcp packet sent?  In which case is it mangled by
iptables somehow?  Its set to mangle, and any of these three machines
has network access with my setup, and I'm invisible to an nmap scan.

>This is normally assurred by handing out 3 byte
> manufacturer prefixes, and relying on the manufacturers to hand out
> a separate serial number to each card).

[...]

>http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt suggests that AC-DE-48
> and 00-00-6C are reserved "private" manufacturer prefixes: use
> those, and make up the rest. Or, unless you ever end up on the same
> network as my old Realtek, 00:05:5D:48:11:F9 should work.

How about I set it for AC-DE-48 and the last 3 from my Realtek
8139too's ifconfig?  This as I enable it in the bios.

>> And, I'd really like to be able to play some music, but the only
>> sound ATM is the beep speaker in the case.
>>
>> Can anyone help me, what modules do I build etc?
>
>It should be the "Intel i8x0/MX440, SiS 7012; Ali 5455; NForce
> Audio; AMD768/8111" if you're using ALSA.

One of, (pick whichever works?) or all says he while madly making
notes on the mobo's spec page.  And yes, using alsa in the kernel,
with the 1.0.5 support stuffs built from a tarball.  Humm, maybe that
needs rebuilt/re-installed?

> The "Intel ICH (i8xx)
> audio support (NEW)" OSS driver might also work. But I don't have
> the hardware around to check.

I do, but traffic here might get noisy before its working.

>HTH,
>
>James.

And then another problem I'd whipped a month ago by installing the
latest cups is back, any attempt to print from kmail (or any kde app
for that matter), results in an instant crash and backtrace display
of the kde app that attempted it when the print button in the kde
print gui is clicked.  In this case kmail.  Damn!

Anyway, many thanks for the pointers.

--
Cheers James, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.