Samba (DNS?) problem

Santiago Cepas scepas at ya.com
Wed Jul 21 19:13:59 UTC 2004

> > > Actually a better test would be:
> > >
> > > smbclient -L servername -N
> >
> > I tried that and got:
> >
> > [santi at unit21 santi]$ smbclient -L unit21 -N
> > Anonymous login successful
> > Domain=[CYBES4] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]
> > tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> >

> That's not good!  You have verified that smbd and nmbd are running?  Not
> sure that would cause that error but it is the first thing I would look
> for.

Tried this instead:

 smbclient -L unit21
Password:
Domain=[UNIT21] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        samba           Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
Domain=[UNIT21] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        CYBES4

> Check it using system-config-services and make sure smb is actually
> started.  (or you can run ps -eaf |grep mbd)  You can also check this in
> swat.

Both services seem to be running

> There needs to be smbd and nmbd running.
>

> > I have already added the user santi with SWAT.
> >

> I found that if you did not run the smbpasswd -a username command that
> adding users via swat really does not work.  Not sure if that was
> something in my environment or not.

I deleted the user and added it again with smbpasswd. Just in case :-)

> > > start menu) and put \\ipaddressofsambaserver in the run command.  I have
> > > found that this will work sometimes if the name of the server can not be
> > > resolved.
> >
> > Didn't work!
> >

> Might be because samba is not really running.
>

> > I'm using swat. It's cool.
> >

> It can make some of this easier. :)
>
> > Well, here is my smb.conf
> >
> > # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> > # Samba config file created using SWAT
> > # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> > # Date: 2004/07/21 20:07:35
> >
> > # Global parameters
> > [global]
> >         workgroup = CYBES4
> >         server string = Samba Server
> >         lanman auth = No
> Not sure why you have this lanman auth = No.  may want to pull this out.
>

> >         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> >         max log size = 50
> >         min protocol = NT1
> >         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >         lm announce = No
> Also not sure why that is there. ^^^^
>
> >         preferred master = No
> >         local master = No
> >         domain master = No
> >         dns proxy = No
> >         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
> >         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
> >         valid users = santi
> >
> > [printers]
> >         comment = All Printers
> >         path = /var/spool/samba
> >         printable = Yes
> >         browseable = No
> >
> > [samba]
> >         path = /home/santi/samba
> >         read only = No
> >         guest ok = Yes
> >

> > I guess I'm having a permissions problem here.
>
> The only other thing you may want to add is a wins server entry if you
> have one on your LAN.  If not then it should not be needed.

Don't have a wins server. Wonder if i should setup a wins server in my
linux box.

Anyway. I tried again the \\192.168.200.125 trick on windows but didn't
get through.

Running out of steam here...