[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Wed Jul 21 22:07:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 14:37, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> MAC addresses are layer 2, not layer 3.  This means that they're used
> on the same subnet, but don't cross a router.  IIRC, MAC addresses don't
> cross switches either, only hubs or bridges.

Actually, MAC addresses are bounded generally by Layer 3 or higher
devices.  Hubs are multi-port repeaters that some would say operate at
the physical layer (Layer 1).  Bridges and Layer 2 switches (aka.
multi-port bridges) operate at Layer 2.  What the "transparent" variety
do for us is simply be selective in forwarding based on MAC address
(though will "flood" broadcasts and multicasts), so the MAC address must
be unique within that "broadcast domain".

Now routers, and Layer 3 switches will strip the MAC header and create a
new header as the packet is transmitted between "broadcast domains" or
"subnets", perhaps represented by different "VLANs".  (Yes I know the
high end routers and layer 3 switches might do an inline rewrite to
speed things up, but....)  In reality, the two "sides" of the Layer 3
device can actually be different Layer 2 technologies....

HTH,

--Rob