sendmail issue.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 21 23:01:46 UTC 2004

Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> I dont think this is problem
>
> thats how its supposed to be right?  cause it was like this already,
> something else is wrong, I can recieve pop, but can't sendmail here is
> error from log
>
> Jul 21 13:47:43 hostname(not really named this) sendmail[6602]:
> i6LHlh4G006602: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<myemail at hotmail.com>,
> relay=[], reject=550 5.7.1 <myemail at hotmail.com>... Relaying denied
>
> Jul 21 13:47:43 hostname(not really named this) sendmail[6602]:
> i6LHlh4G006602: from=<email at mydomain.org>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0,
> proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[]

By default, sendmail will not relay messages sent from any domain that
is not the domain of the machine or one listed in /etc/mail/access.
This is specifically to prevent people who don't know how to set up mail
(and pardon me for saying this, but you sound like one of them) from
being open relays for spammers and worms.

To fix this and use your machine as the SMTP box, make sure your mail
client uses your local domain name in the sender address.  If you want
replies to your mail to be sent to your hotmail account, set up the
"Reply-To:" bit of your client to do that.  Whatever you do, do NOT put
hotmail.com in your access database or many, many mail admins (myself
included) will personally come over and beat the tar out of you as you
will be a wonderful source of spam.  I doubt that your ISP will allow
you to send mail out from your local box anyway.  Most won't route port
25 from inside their network to the outside world except to their own
mail servers.  They block it for any other destination.

<soap>
I don't intend to sound mean, but if you don't know how to set up mail,
PLEASE don't try.  Probably 70% of the crap email on the internet is
due to newbies tinkering with this or idiot ISPs that don't block port
25 properly.
</soap>
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -