resize NTFS partition questions.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jul 21 23:06:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 14:52, Jeffrey W. Stein wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:56, Mike Wills wrote:
> > The install for Mandrake actaully allows you to resize NTFS
> > partitions. I have used it and it seems to work. Of course there is
> > the usual caution of potenitally destroying the Windows partition if
> > there is data where you deleted the partition....
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:57:19 -0500, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a free tool to resize an NTFS partition on a hard
> > > drive in preparation for installing fedora to dual boot?
> > >
> > > I have researched fips, parted, partition magic, and others and so far
> > > the only one I can find that will allow resizing of the NTFS partition
> > > is PM (not free).
> > >
> > > I am installing Fedora for a customer on her laptop and have previously
> > > not needed to handle NTFS partitions, but now I have this one to deal
> > > with.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Mike Wills
> > iSeries Programmer/Lawson Administrator
> > koldark at gmail.com
> > http://www.koldark.net
> > Want Gmail? Email koldark+gmail at gmail.com to get on my waiting list.
> >

> You might want to look at QtParted:
> <http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/index.en.html>. I successfully shrank
> an NTFS partition from an existing Windows XP Home installation so that
> I could dual boot Fedora Core 1 for running MythTV.
>
> I would just make sure that you back up anything vital, just in case.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Jeff

Someone mentioned qtparted previously but AFAICT it can only be used
when Linux is already installed.  My situation was that my customer had
a laptop with XP installed and wanted to add linux.  A single hard disk
and without physically removing the disk and connecting it to a running
linux system I had no way (at that time) to use the tools suggested.

I wound up using Partition Magic, but really wanted to have a live-CD
bootable system that I could use without having to pay for the extra
tools.

I was not sure if Knoppix contained qtparted and was out of time to
investigate but have since done that and was pleasantly surprised to
find it was there.  Now I have another toolbox.

Never too late for an old dog to learn new tricks.

Jeff