Simple database

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 01:41:05 UTC 2004

Clifford Snow wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 05:56, Timothy Payne wrote:
>
>>Is anyone using a simple database on FC2?  I have a pile of notes on my
>>desk from tips on this list and changes.  It would be nice if it could
>>import files so I could use it for other things, but I just want to set
>>up a few fields and be able to search through them.
>

> Try OpenOffice Calc as a flat file database.  If you need more power,
> OpenOffice can use MySql or Postgresql to store data.  OpenOffice can
> even help create the database and fields with a gui interface.

There is a database that is supposed to be simple called tora included
with the distro. I don't know how simple this db is yet.
I just downloaded it and launched it. It initially asks for some
connection information and things. It has a content help and stuff. I
believe that you have to have postgresql or something running to provide
connectivity.

I was hoping for rhdb to make it to the distro ad tried it a long while
back. This database looked promising, but running on a laptop with only
a 640 x 480 display made it impossible to get past a certain point.

If you try out tora. I did not know where or if there was a launcher for
it. I typed tora in a terminal, as a normal user.

Jim