[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 03:18:33 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 22:22, Robert Locke wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 21:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Am I on the right trail here, or am I getting colder?
>
>I honestly don't know about your card.  I missed the earlier part of
> the thread where you first started asking about manually specifying
> a Hardware/MAC address for your NIC.  I am just an old Cisco guy
> who felt the need to clarify the use of the term switch....

[...]

>Why not just use the MAC address that is burned in to the NIC, or am
> I rehashing stuff you've already worked on with Gene - at which
> point just tell me to go back into my lurking corner.... :-)

Its an onboard ethernet, not a pci card, and it has no burned in MAC
address.  So when you turn it on in the bios, you must supply a MAC
address for it.  Its part of whats called the nFORCE2 chipset used on
a lot of the newer mobo's.

>In looking at your recent lspci, I have never heard of nVidia making
>NICs, just graphics cards, so is there actually a driver available
> for that NIC?  Of course, that is probably what you are asking
> us....
>
>Maybe I am not helping on this one..........  returning to my
> corner....

You may, but please sit down face the audience, we hate talking to the
back of a head...  :-)

That said, a bit tougue-in-cheek, I got some quite useable info here,
so you have not wasted your time trying to educate an old fart.  My
thanks to you, Rob.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.