Package Management

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Thu Jul 22 04:04:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:00:21 -0400, John Dangler wrote

The only time, when introducing srpms, will be when you need to recompile them
to suit your needs. The final rpm will be added to you rpm database (And
correct me if I'm wrong, you only need the one rpm database on your system).

When you use Yum or APT to update your system, you just have to be careful not
to download updates of the packages you have modified. You need to download
the new versions (srpms) and rebuild them again with your original
configuration. I have done that, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, so long
I don't forget which package(s) you need to do changes to, before you install it.

Yum/Apt will see the files you installed as either newer or older than what's
in the repository. They will not be changed unless you tell it to.

Wolf