Devlabel and Fstab with usb pendrive

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Thu Jul 22 04:32:19 UTC 2004

Darragh Bailey said:

> Used devlabel to deal with a previous problem that depending on whether my
> printer was switched on or not would affect which device my usb pendrive
> was
> picked up as. devlabel allowed me to use a symlink to the device which it
> would
> create and delete when the device was added removed, which meant that I
> could
> use a consistent device name in my /etc/fstab file. This allowed me to set
> it
> up so that any user could mount/unmount my pendrive.

Don't have access to a Linux machine right now, so I might not be 100%
accurate:

If it's OK with you that the (single) user who's logged in at the moment
the pendrive is plugged in can mount it, then I believe there's a way to
solve it. What you do is remove the (manual) fstab entry, define the
pendrive in /etc/updfstab* and add the respective entry to
/etc/security/console.perms (or so). There's examples in there which you
can copy. The /dev/sdX entry will then be "chonwed [user]" the moment you
plug the pendrive in & an fstab entry created, Ie the drive is
user-mountable.

Alternatively, I guess the /etc/security/... file allows you to make the
/dev/sdX entry world-R/W on plug-in of the pendrive. But this might be a
security risk...

HaJo