Fedora Core 2 freeze after several minutes/hours

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Thu Jul 22 06:13:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 07:47, e98cuenc at free.fr wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running FC2 on a PIII 733Mhz with a Powercolor graphic card (powered by an
> ATI 7500).
>
> After a few (1-2) hours of use, it stops dead for no obvious reason (doing
> nothing CPU intensive, sometimes just reading a local html page with mozilla).
>
> Everything is freezed, including the mouse. I've reproduced the same problem
> with another card (a nvidia GeForce 2).
>
> It doesn't seems to happen when I don't run X (that's why I suspected the
> graphic card...), but I have still not remained for hours on without X, so I
> don't know for sure.
>
> Does anybody have any hints about what can I try to get some info about this
> freeze?
>
> Cheers,

I am also experiencing random lockups with a PIII 400Mhz test system.
It has a nvidia video card installed.  I was using their binary driver
but removed it and am just using the supplied 2d one.  I still get the
random freezes.

I noticed that I always get a kernel oops complaining about a virtual
paging problem when I check the logs.  I am still trying to resolve this
but it does appear that when I set the screen saver to just a blank page
the problem goes away.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>