[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 10:52:39 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 01:01, Price Technology wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Its a Biostar M7NCD-PRO, has everything but SATA & ACR.
>
>This is from BioStar's FAQ.  It applies to a different board, but
> maybe yours is marked similarly.
>
>+++++++++Quote from FAQ+++++
>
>Find your board's MAC address (it can be found on the side of the
> first PCI slot) and write it down. The MAC address is a 12-digit
> hex number that looks something like "00E04CB44301".

There is no mention of this in the rather smallish booklet that comes
with it.

>Power on your system and get into CMOS Setup.
>
>Integrated Peripherals -> SIS Onchip PCI Device -> SIS MAC Address
> Input

And its not SiS based, its part of the nFORCE2 chipset.  That said, I
will take a flashlight and see if I can see anything, but with that
Zalman flower in there, its fan is blocking my view pretty badly, so
I'd have to tear it down by opening up the swingdown motherboard
mounting panel, which requires removal of that fan and all cards...

>Type in your MAC Address. Be sure to "Save & Exit" (press F10).
>
>Once the MAC address has been saved in CMOS, you will not see above
>error message again. If you should flash the BIOS with "Updating DMI
>Data" in the future, you would need to re-enter the MAC address
> again. Without the MAC address, the onboard LAN will not function
> properly.
>
>+++++End Quote+++++
>
>Let me know, I'm still Curious.
>
>Joebewan

So am I.  And one things a bit odd.  I went to the Biostar site and
grabbed the latest bios for that board, or so I thought, but after
sticking it on a floppy (the bios builtin updater only looks on the
floppy) and haveing this on the floppy:

[root at coyote root]# ls -l /mnt/floppy
total 958
-rwxr--r--  1 root root  31058 Oct 17  2000 awdflash.exe
-r-xr--r--  1 root root  54645 May 31  1994 command.com
-rwxr--r--  1 root root     13 Mar 10  1994 config.sys
-r-xr--r--  1 root root  40774 May 31  1994 io.sys
-r-xr--r--  1 root root  38138 May 31  1994 msdos.sys
-rwxr--r--  1 root root 290816 Jul 21 14:59 ncd0311.bin
-rwxr--r--  1 root root 262144 Jan 21  2003 origbios.bin
-rwxr--r--  1 root root 262144 Sep 19  2002 Vib0919b.bin

The bios updater cannot see the supposedly correct ncd0311.bin file.
It was named .exe before but IIRC I had to rename the Vib0919b.exe to
a .bin.  Its also too big, so obviously something is missmatched.
The last 2 files are those for the older M7VIB mobo, with the last one
being the one that put the bios based updater in the bios so we don't
have to run awdflash.exe first.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.