BIND problems

Stefano Tabacchiera s.tabacchiera at gruppocsf.com
Thu Jul 22 12:21:13 UTC 2004

Heiner Hardt ha scritto:
> Hello Guys,
>
> When I start named service using "service named start" command I´ve been
> unable to resolve names correctly but when I use "named -u named -g"
> command it works fine. When I see the log files it says that zone files
> was not found. Maybe it is a stupid configuration that I forget !!!

Misconfiguration.
Take a look in /etc/init.d/named and/or /etc/sysconfig/named.

With 'service named start', named runs chrooted (usually in
/var/named/chroot)
With 'named -u named -g', named runs NOT chrooted.

I think your zone files are located in /var/named instead of
/var/named/chroot/var/named.
In fact, your logs shows 'file not found' error.

Solution: be sure to place config and zone files in the right place.

Best regards.

Stefano Tabacchiera
CSF Sistemi S.r.l.
Via del Ciavattino s.n.c.