Firstboot problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 22 16:05:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 08:36, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have found a problem with firstboot and that is this.
> My client as clever as all clients can be, for some really wierd reason,
> when the firstboot screen starts, instead of clicking next they hit he
> power switch.
> On reboot the machine starts the chkdisk but instead of starting it in
> the graphical loader it starts it on the first terminal (ctrl-alt-f1)
> and whether you actually press Y to check the disk or not, the screen
> stays on f1 instead of switching back to f8 so how do I make the chkdisk
> run in the graphical boot loader?
> to prevent this?
---
Terminology first...chkdsk is a purely Microsoft tool. fsck and it's
derivatives (like e2fsck) are Unix/Linux.

I think the operative metaphor is that just when you think things are
idiotproof, along comes a better idiot.

I suppose that it would have to run fsck because there isn't a journal
yet to restore and any boot errors shift the system from graphic boot to
displaying the details (text screen). Of course the graphic boot is
newer technology to Linux and is designed to disappear at the first sign
of trouble with the boot process. I can't think of a way to prevent it
from happening.

Craig