Fedora Core 2 freeze after several minutes/hours

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Thu Jul 22 22:24:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 09:16, Lemke, Wesley wrote:
> I had a similar problem, but it happened on all screen savers, not just
> OpenGL ones.  It turned out to not be related to the screensavers, but
> to ACPI.  I put acpi=off as a kernel parameter, and now the machine
> doesn't lock up at all.

I've heard that acip can cause lockups on some systems.  However, my
poor old 400Mhz box is so old that acpi is not enabled by default.  The
kernel says that the bios is too old.

My lockups seem to have gone away since I switched the screensaver to a
blank screen instead of the random setting.  I also noticed that most of
the lockups occurred just after 4:00am when the box was running
updatedb.  This is the period of heaviest load.  That coupled with those
fancy 3d screensavers may just be too much for the poor old box???

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>