Grub and XP

Buck Lemke buck at bucklemke.com
Fri Jul 23 02:14:32 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 19:24, Wesley (Buck) Lemke wrote:
>

>>I had linux installed.  I installed XP.  Then I re-installed Grub to the
>>MBR ->
>>
>>grub> root (hd0,0)
>>grub> setup (hd0)
>>
>>I now have XP installed on the master drive of the first ide controller,
>>and FC2 on the slave.  How should my grub.conf look?  This is what I
>>have now:
>>
>>default=0
>>timeout=10
>>#splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz  <----------  (this doesn't
>>seem to work, so it's commented out).
>>title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435.2.3)
>>#       root (hd0,0)    <------------- Is this needed?
>>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 ro root=/dev/hdb1 rhgb
>>quiet acpi=off
>>        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.img
>>title Windows XP
>>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>>        chainloader +1
>>        makeactive
>>

>The root line is required for all boots.  It tells grub which partition
>to load the kernel from.
>
>If XP is in fact on the first partition on the first disk then FC2 would
>not boot for you with that stanza.  You may actually have XP on the
>slave drive if FC2 boots with this in grub.conf.
>

>>FC2 boots fine, but XP gives me:
>>
>>Error 13:
>>
>>Invalid or Unsupported executable format.
>>

>>Is my setup for FC2 correct (it works, but is it ideal), and how do I
>>boot XP?
>>

>Mine works like this, and it was installed when I installed FC2 with XP
>already loaded on hd0,0
>
>for me hd2 is my scsi drive and I have the bios set to boot from scsi.
>
>-----
>

>default=0
>timeout=10
>splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435.2.3)
>        root (hd2,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
>acpi=no
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.img
>title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
>        root (hd2,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
>title Win
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1

Well, I'm replying to this in XP.  I got it to work with hd1 for XP and
hd0 for linux.  I also had to put the map (hd0) (hd1) and map (hd1)
(hd0) for XP to boot.

The wierd thing is that if I'm in Linux, and do a 'df' it shows root
mounted on /dev/hdb1.  So the way I understand it, that means that I
couldn't boot to linux if I have root (hd0, 0)....but that is the only
way it works.

Basically I have no idea why it is working, but it is working now...