Firstboot problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 14:44:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 10:17, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> I manufacture PCs and I normally reset firstboot to start for when the
> client switches it on for the firstime. There 1000s of PCs.

> ext3, Yes but when you power off (i.e hit reset or have a power failure,
> or like fc1 hit the power switch the PC switches off without going
> through the shutdown sequence, normally referred to as shutting down
> uncleanly).
> With ext3 the a fsck will prompt you to run a disk check where you can
> press Y or wait n seconds.
> Now whether you do press Y or not it switches to console 1 (ctrl-alt-f1)
> and doesn't switch back to GUI (ctrl-alt-f8).
> at this point the boot process will carry on on console 8 but you are
> looking at console 1, which stop at enable swap space. At this point
> 1000 users (who have all powered off there machines instead of clicking
> next ) phone us for support because they don't know that they must press
> ctrl-alt-f8.
>

> But I do need a fix, otherwise firstboot will have to be thrown out.
> Sorry, It is creating to much stress on my production line.
> Its not serious when its one machine, But it is very serious when it is
> 1000 machines.
>
> So any one have a trick for me before I toss this one (firstboot) out
> the window, until they make a better one :-| ?

Now I understand!  Short term why not print a single page document in
large type with the procedure you want them to use and tape it to the
monitor or system when you ship it?  Tell them how to switch to console
8.  (I thought it was on console 7 but I am probably wrong).

Not a spectacular technical fix but could significantly reduce the calls
you get on this problem.

I also find it very interesting that you are shipping that many linux
based systems.  Good job!

Also a little surprised that people ordering linux based systems would
not be a little more tech savvy.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com