problem booting compiled kernel

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 16:04:20 UTC 2004

Nagaprabhanjan Bellari wrote:
> Hi there,
> i compiled a 2.5.7 kernel and am trying to boot it.
> I have fedora 2 with /dev/hda2 as root partition (just mentioning in case if
> this helps)
>
> I compiled the kernel and installed it with initrd images and grub entries.
> It is giving an error message:
>
> "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00"
>
> I have read most of the mailing lists given by google.
> But I am not able to solve the problem.
> When fedora 2 is able to mount the /dev/hda2 partition, why not a 2.5.7
> kernel?
> I have compiled the kernel with all necessary options set.
> please help me out.

It looks like the kernel is looking for the root filesystem on the wrong
  partition.  You can use the "rdev" command to see what the kernel's
default location:

   [root at starfleet manual]# rdev /boot/bzImage
   Root device /dev/hdb5

If your kernel is not show "Root device /dev/hda2" you will either have
to use an "append root=/dev/hda2" in your boot loader configuration (I
use lilo, but grub probably has something similar) or you can use "rdev"
  to change the default to /dev/hda2:

   [root at starfleet manual]# rdev /boot/bzImage
   Root device /dev/hdb5
   [root at starfleet manual]# rdev /boot/bzImage /dev/hda2
   [root at starfleet manual]# rdev /boot/bzImage
   Root device /dev/hda2

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)