Cisco VPN having DNS problems

joel schaubert joel4700 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 16:06:53 UTC 2004

We're trying to get the cisco VPN  4.0.4.B client to work with Fedora.
After whiping the box clean and reinstalling a few times, I've verified that
after a workstation install the VPN client works fine.

Then after time it breaks.
One method that seems to break it for sure is to upgrade the kernal from the
install version of  2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.6-1.435.2.1
After this upgrade, the VPN will connect, and I can ping addresses, but DNS
no longer works.
It seems there are other things that can break the DNS while on VPN but I
haven't been able to pin those down yet.

1) have others seen problems with DNS over cisco VPN with FC2?
2) Is this kind of posting suitable for this mailing list?
(Been programming linux at work for a long time, but recently got so worried
from security issues with my home OS that I've just started using fedora for
the first time at home -- nice install by the way  ! )

Joel Schaubert

additional details
A) after upgrading the kernal the vpn software has to be recompiled and
reinstalled, this was expected
B) the NIC card is PCMCIA so linux startup fails to start eth0 because
PCMCIA hasn't been started yet, then delays init and suceeds later on.  This
I think is normal, and does NOT cause any problems for non vpn access.