OT: vpn questions (stops using my internet connection and starts using the gateways?)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Jul 23 22:22:59 UTC 2004

--On Friday, July 23, 2004 2:34 PM -0700 John Wendel
<john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil> wrote:

> As far as I know, the Cisco vpn client doesn't support split tunneling. I
> think there is another open source client "vpnc" and "kvnpc" that has
> been  mentioned on this list that does support split tunneling, but I've
> never used  it.

That would explain the problem. I'd heard about vpnc but haven't tried it:

<http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/>

The problem is that my peer uses a Windows directory to authenticate
against and vpnc requires:

(From the README)
> If you don't know the Group ID and Secret string, ask your
> administrator. If (s)he declines and refers to the
> configuration files provided for the vpnclient program, tell
> him/her that the contents of that files is (though scrambled)
> not really protected and can be extracted using tools shipped
> with any Linux distribution.

But I now notice that there's a tool on the vpnc page to reverse out the
group password from the Cisco profile for use in the vpnc config. So I may
try that out.