sendmail user name and password authentication

Jonathan T. Steadman fedoracore at stny.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 01:15:56 UTC 2004

I have created a certificate so that I would be able to send passwords
securely, but now my problem is actually sending the password, right now
the user is asked to accept certificate which is wonderful, but my
server is not requiring users to use a user name and password (actually
it doesn't work if you try user name and password) to relay mail, I want
it to, I read up on it a little and thought it was because of AUTH_MECH
options, but I changed them to LOGIN and PLAIN so that PAM could deal
with them, (yes I did specify in ~/sasl2/sendmail.conf that pwcheck was
to be done with pam) do I somehow have to specify password file or
something?  I have authentication for pop3 server working with
PAM/Dovecot but that is a whole other story.  Anyways all of what I
considered important values for what I want are listed below. anyways
sorry about all my many send mail questions/issues, I am hoping this
really will be the last of them, I guess they (thankfully) have many
hoops to jump through in sendmail to help fight spammers.

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl