OT: vpn questions (stops using my internet connection and starts using the gateways?)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Jul 24 01:49:18 UTC 2004

--On Friday, July 23, 2004 6:39 PM -0400 "Scot L. Harris"
<webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I shudder to think that Cisco has such a potentially huge security
> problem in their VPN clients.

I just fired up vpnc and it seems to work, and I'm not seeing the DNS
issues.

The trickiest part is matching the terminology in the vpnc README to the
Cisco profile file. The "IPSec" ID and secret in vpnc are the group name
and password in the Cisco profile. The Xauth username and password are the
user name and password in the profile.

The group password can be recovered from its "encrypted" form in the
profile using the form linked from the vpnc web page.