Dual Opteron -- FC2 won't recognize RAM

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Jul 24 04:50:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 22:36, Ed Hill wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Today, I installed FC2 on a dual Opteron-140 with 12Gig RAM.  The
> install would only work if I added "mem=1024M" or similar as a kernel
> option.
>
> After the install (which went nicely), the system would only boot if
> less than 4Gig was specified using the kernel option "mem=3900M" or
> similar.  Anything over 4Gig resulted in an immediate re-boot (reset?)
> within a second or two of the attempted boot.
>
> This machine has successfully run both SuSE and RHEL v3.  I would now
> like to use FC2 but am disappointed by the (apparent?) lack of support
> for 12Gig RAM.  I've tried searching for information on Fedora large-RAM
> support but am making not headway.  Are there any special kernels or
> options that I could try with FC2 to get it to recognize all of the RAM?
>
> Or should I just go back to RHEL 3?
>
> thanks,
> Ed
>
> ===
>
> PS: System is an MSI-8131 MB with dual Opteron-140

Ed,

You might have better luck getting an answer to this question on the
amd64-list. Most of us on the fedora-list haven't made the jump to
64-bits yet.

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov