Install FC 2 with 16 MB Ram

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sat Jul 24 05:30:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:44, Frederico Madeira wrote:
> It is possible ??? i have some machines P100 Mhz with 200 MB disk and
> 16 Mb ram and i need to install linux to make them as servers.

    Yeah, I'm looking for this to, as strange as it sounds.  I bought 25
(used, obviously) 486's for $3 a piece.  Using them as routers isn't
profitable, so they've been sitting around.  I had to cannibalize them
to get 32M so I could boot RH9 at all.

    The new use is to get one of these tired little boxes to run on
12V-only to read from a GPS and maintain a (small) database of points.
And, If I screw it up 'release it's magic smoke' I can move the drives
to another one and try it again.

    The goal is to make something larger (more capable) than a handheld
that stays 'on' all the time, powered by just the vehicle battery.  When
the main computer is brought online, it'll download all the new points
from this old box.  Eventually I want to capture 'all' the points along
the trip as I travel all the states, workin' on computers....or whatever
it takes for gas and campground money.

    :)

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller