nVidia vs FC2 Revisited, Again

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Sat Jul 24 16:02:28 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 10:18, Greg Swallow wrote:
> Ok, have tried all the steps sent to fix this bugger. Still, can not get
> the nvidia working properly. Driver installs save the error message
> about the rivafb. Tried to compile a kernel and failed during install
> phase. Whatever.
>
> Problem still is: gabage splash screen, pointer is a square of video
> garbage, and menu options not always displayed until go over with
> pointer. Have purchased RHWS3 for one of the twins. Same problem there,
> but the nv driver is MUCH faster under RHWS3 than FC2.
>
> Turning off HWCursor and on SWCursor no good as SWCursor is invisable.
> Unless it sits on the outside edghe of an open window. Ever tried using
> a GUI without a pointer? Not reaL fun.
>
> Again I have twin systems with dual iPII 266MHz motherboards, 256mb RAM,
> Apollo JoyTech Bloody Monster3 nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb Video, SB
> Live! v5.1, multiple nic, and near duplicate in hard drives.
>
> Thanks in advance to any help.
>
> GregS <><

I haven't seen your earlier messages but I can tell you how I got my
nvidia card going (if I remember correctly it's an MX440).

I assume you can get your system working using the supplied 2d nv
driver.  If that isn't the case then get it working first.  Download the
latest driver from nvidia's website.  Change your system so that it
boots into text.  If things do badly it's much easier to go back to your
working xorg.conf file from the command line.

Next go into /etc/X11 and make a backup copy of xorg.conf.  Carefully go
through the xorg.conf file and comment out any lines that say anything
about "DRI".  Change "nv" to "nvidia".  Save the file.

In order to compile the nvidia driver you must have the kernel source
installed as well as the kernel binary.  Also, you should remove the
mesa libs by doing "rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL".

Exit windows and from the command line make the nvidia installer an
executable and run it.  If you follow the on screen instructions it
should install.  Don't worry about the rivafb warning message (it's not
an error message).  Do "startx" to go back into windows.  If you want to
boot directly into X then make that change now.

I was having a real stability problem until I changed my screen saver to
only a blank screen.  Those nice fancy 3d savers would kill my system.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>