Desktop icons disappear in Gnome 2.6

Travis Osterman tosterman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:21:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:35:05 -0500, David L Norris <dave at webaugur.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 23:55 -0500, Travis Osterman wrote:
> > Recently, I had a nautilus session that crashed and afterward I didn't
> > have icons or the ability to right-click on my Gnome desktop.  I tried
> > logging out and back into Gnome, nothing had changed.  Logging into
> > KDE worked fine and showed the desktop.
> >
> > I googled without getting anywhere and would appreciate any ideas to
> > try.  Thanks for your time.
>
> Logout of GNOME, login to a failsafe terminal, and run bonobo-slay.
>
> You may also want to clean your user's files from /tmp and then kill all
> processes running as your user ("kill -KILL -1" from your normal user
> account, never as root).
>
> --
>  David Norris

I tried all of the above ($kill -KILL -1 $bonobo-slay and removing
/tmp files owned by my user) as well as # rm -rfv /tmp/* /tmp/.* and a
reboot and am still in the same situation.  Logging into Gnome as a
different user fixs the icon issue so I assume it's a problem with a
my account.  I also have full access to all the panel applications (if
that's important at all).  Thanks again in advance for any suggestions
to try.

-- Travis