sendmail user name and password authentication

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jul 24 17:02:06 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 24.07.2004 schrieb Jonathan T. Steadman um 18:32:

> ok then, I went back a step and got rid of STARTTLS, and authentication
> still does not take place, it works if I on mail client I dont check
> user name and password required for outgoing, but if i do check it, it
> does not work, unless of course my password would be different from
> login ect.  which I can't see the point of that.  This is what my

Sorry, must be my bad English but I don't understand with that last
sentence. You say you use a different password than for shell login with
the same user?

> sendmail.mc file looks like(at the bottom) I did a telnet on myself, and
> then ehlo localhost, and got 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN which is good as far
> as I can tell from readings I have done.  I did have to change this:

Seeing the AUTH MECHs offered does not mean anything. You will have to
go in further an really authenticate. You will have to pass it the
values base64 encoded. And your mail is still lacking maillog entries
showing error messages.

> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> to this:
> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> because when I did a telnet on port 25 with the former i turned up
> nothing for AUTH.  Anyways am truly sorry for just throwing out my whole

Yes, if you would read the cf/REAME you would find that the "p"
parameter for confAUTH_OPTIONS means to only allow PLAIN and LOGIN AUTH
when the connection is encrypted through TLS.

> sendmail.mc file at you guys, but I tried to narrow it down the first
> time with out anything wrong found that could be causing AUTH not to be
> required.

Check your /etc/mail/access file for RELAY entries.

>      I just found out to while writing this, that this file can't be
> found (/etc/mail/userdb.db) I decided to see if all the files that were
> specified below actually existed, and this one didnt.  Could this be a
> problem or is this normal?

It is no problem.

[ snipped pretty default sendmail.mc file ]

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 18:56:30 up 2 days, 3:44, load average: 0.21, 0.39, 0.26