Exastperating experience with FC2

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Jul 24 20:51:28 UTC 2004

During the last 2 weeks I have had a really exasperating (but
educational experience) in trying to install FC2, and I seek comments.

At home I have a test machine at home which has a PII processor with
 128M Ram which runs at 400 MHZ. During the last three years I have
 installed every version of Redhat and Fedora successfully up through FC1.

 Then I tried to install FC2 and had a really hard time. Let me
 summarize the steps in order.
 1. I had an off-brand set of CD-s which I used to install FC2
 successfully on our Dell Precisions at work. On my test machine these
 CD-s failed the media check so I burned some Imation CD-s which
 passed the media check.
 2. Installing caused the text install to fail several times saying
 the rpm could not be loaded. Hitting return caused the load to
 succeed. However, in the middle of the second disk the computer
 locked up and I could not go any further.
 3. Through trickery I got a booting version of FC2 which ended up
 with the kernel panic I asked about earlier but could not get rid of.
 4. Finally, I bought another CD reader. The installation proceeded
 without rpm reading failures but again the machine locked up in the
 middle of the second CD in the loading of xorg.
 5. Again through trickery I loaded the rest of the rpms and got a
 booting system. This time no kernel panic but dozens of errors in
 starting the daemons in init.d and X would not come up.

 After all these educational experiences I decided to see if the
 machine itself had cratered so I installed FC1 again. It installed
 without problem and gave me a booting system. In every case I did not
 try to load every possible package but did install the OO stuff and
 Gnome as well as KDE.

 There is something about FC2 that is not very friendly. Does anyone
 know what it is? Remember that these CD-s successfully installed FC2
 on our Dells.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University