README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jul 25 01:48:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 08:40, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Lisa (TheAverageJane) wrote:
>
> ... 10K worth of snipped stuff ...
>
> is there a point to the occasional posting of a bunch of (admittedly
> perhaps useful but) unsolicited advice?  particularly when it contains
> clearly broken links like:

You may not like it, and that is your choice.
I, and many others, find this a useful mail, posted once a week so those
who are new, or otherwise would not find the answer, can go to Lisa's
page and get tons of useful info.

Her idea, as I am sure you know if you have been on this list for a
while is to provide information readily and thus reduce the unnecessary
noise of many repeated questions.  To see the effect, look at the
archive and note the reduction in the repeats of many simple questions.

I would much rather have one single mail a week with information than
several hundred with repeated questions that have been answered many
times and get boring as well as getting tiring to those of us who answer
a lot.

> > http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS. kernel/
>
> or simple pointers to fedora-based web sites for no particular reason?

<snipped>

> how about: don't post lengthy answers to unasked questions.  if you've
> got this much to say, get a web page, ok?
>
> cynically and suspiciously yours,
> rday

A web page would be fine, but then how would it be quickly found when
needed.  If you don't like it, delete it.  Let the rest of us who find
it useful use it.