README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jul 25 02:02:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 12:24, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Craig White wrote:
>
> >> how about: don't post lengthy answers to unasked questions.  if you've
> >> got this much to say, get a web page, ok?
>
> > evidently you haven't been reading this message base for the past few
> > months. This post (Lisa's) is very much appreciated by a large number of
> > active users of the message base since they questions seemed to get
> > asked time and time again.
> >
> > Suggest that you create a 'filter' or procmail rule to eliminate this
> > weekly message so you don't feel compelled to sound off next time.
>
>    given the interesting feedback, i think it's worth clarifying a
> couple of points, all in the genuine interest of perhaps making that
> regularly-posted FAQ more useful, if it's going to continue.  so, to
> set the stage ...

<snipped>

>    a compromise?  if you're really set on doing this, how about a
> weekly post of *new*, *breaking* goodies, with a pointer to the
> archives for the rest of it.  if that was the case, heck, *i'd* read
> it.  but if it's going to be predominantly the same stuff over and
> over, just say so, and i'll happily shut up, redirect it to /dev/null
> and get back to work.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  and please, no argument that lots of people find this stuff
> useful.  of course they do.  personally, i've been running FC on my
> inspiron 8100 for over a year, but i'm not going to post a weekly FAQ
> of the same content on how to do it.  that's not, in my opinion, what
> the list is for.  if you have this much info you want to share, either
> make it constantly fresh, or get a web page.

I am glad you got that off your chest.  Hope you feel better.

Now, however, since your missive has been the only one telling Lisa to
stop and MANY have voiced appreciation, I hope you quit flooding the
rest of us with your unnecessary hairsplitting drivel and let us enjoy
our days.

If your ideas are so great then you are welcome to do what you are so
free to advise others to do.  Maybe it is better, but unless you try it
you will never know.

No one else has to cater to the strict demands of one.

Jeff