AutoCAD Alternatives -- revisited -- vendor supported IntelliCAD for Linux

Dirk bothasp at yebo.co.za
Sun Jul 25 02:17:03 UTC 2004

QCAD is another option.

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

It is comertial software but the source is available for download, free for
those who want to play/work on it.

At this point it is only 2D but I'm sure the people at ribbonsoft will get on
to doing the 3D thing soon enough.

As a note though, don't download the source and expect it to compile, I've had
to make some minor changes to the code in order to get it to compile.

It works fine on my RH 9 system, and has some nifty libraries for download
aswell.

The interface is very intuitive, even for a complete noob like myself. The
last time I played with a cad program was back in 94, CadKey ... or some
thing like that. I also know next to nothing about technical drawing, but I
could slap a plan for a kitchen together in under an hour, after having
figured out the basics.

I think the electronics and mechanical people would like it.

Regards,
Dirk