Alsa mixer settings do not appear to be initialized.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jul 25 02:31:26 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 11:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 24 July 2004 11:13, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >I see that /etc/init.d/halt runs alsactl store to save the current
> > mixer settings.
> >
> >I cannot find anywhere in initscript which restores the saved mixer
> > settings when booting.  Looks like a bug.
>
> I put that line to do that in my rc.local file quite a while back.  It

As someone else noted, my /etc/modprobe.conf contains the line that does
the restore of alsa settings when loading the module.  It was put there
by default during the install.

> seems to do the job ok, and I do see it flying by in the boot window.
> But then my rc.local would probably give purists a tummy ache cause
> I'm even starting setiathome with it.

I wrote a small init script for setiathome and put it into
/etc/rc.d/init.d as a service.  Never have to touch rc.local for that.

I also have a cron that looks at seti and will attempt to restart it
once every 4 hours if it has died. It does periodically die if unable to
contact the server when it tries to send results back.