Alsa mixer settings do not appear to be initialized.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 25 03:07:47 UTC 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 22:31, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 11:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 24 July 2004 11:13, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> >I see that /etc/init.d/halt runs alsactl store to save the
>> > current mixer settings.
>> >
>> >I cannot find anywhere in initscript which restores the saved
>> > mixer settings when booting.  Looks like a bug.
>>
>> I put that line to do that in my rc.local file quite a while back.
>>  It
>
>As someone else noted, my /etc/modprobe.conf contains the line that
> does the restore of alsa settings when loading the module.  It was
> put there by default during the install.
>
>> seems to do the job ok, and I do see it flying by in the boot
>> window. But then my rc.local would probably give purists a tummy
>> ache cause I'm even starting setiathome with it.
>
>I wrote a small init script for setiathome and put it into
>/etc/rc.d/init.d as a service.  Never have to touch rc.local for
> that.

I suppose I could do the same here if I needed to.  But in fact I'm
using a cleaned and slightly expanded version of a script called
"setibatch".  It in turn takes care of maintaining the softlinks to
setiathome's data directory so that when seti runs out of data and
stops (its told to do just that data packet in its launching line)
then setibatch increments the link to a new data subdir and
re-launches setiatome.  Back when they were having major bandwidth
problems on the berkekey campus (seti was using all they had) this
script would handle an arbitrary number of packets (I'm set for 100),
trying to keep enough data on hand to keep setiathome busy.  I launch
another copy of this script via an entry in my crontab that tells the
script to run another copy of seti, uploading the finished data, and
refreshing the data packets in those subdirs that have been used up.

Basicly, other than checking the gkrellm display to note that the nice
time is all used, I don't have to fool with it, its self-maintaining.

>I also have a cron that looks at seti and will attempt to restart it
>once every 4 hours if it has died. It does periodically die if
> unable to contact the server when it tries to send results back.

Setibatch will do that in just a few seconds anytime the client dies.
Its about 3 pages of bash script.  I should post it someplace, but I'm
not the original author, I just did some needed cleanup and added
another type of a status display.  I sent my changes back, but I
don't know if the posted copy was ever updated.  According to google,
its still the 0.5 version I started with.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.