README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Sun Jul 25 05:45:19 UTC 2004

> You may not like it, and that is your choice.
> I, and many others, find this a useful mail, posted once a week so those

This is becoming a nice long thread isn't it..

I sent a request to the redhat list maintainer a couple of weeks ago (with no
reply of course) to make some changes to the Info page for this list, and the
welcome mail..  First and foremost, warning users that this is a VERY high
traffic list. They seem to join, get very upset at all the mail they are
getting, get even more frustrated, and freak out (several threads of freaking
out last week alone)..

This is one of those things that would be nice on that page or in the welcome
email. A link to it, asking people to look it over before asking questions
(Although, new users typically disregard that from what I've seen, due to them
not really knowing netiquette).

Anyway.. Hell, even if the FAQ was in the entire welcome message.. one 50k
signup message wouldn't kill anyone.

I don't mind it being posted to the list every week.. hell, post it every day
for all I care..  the beauty of pine and procmail is that i can thread,
delete, sort, and disregard whatever the hell I please..  and the 50k of
bandwidth to me personally doesn't hurt (And unless redhat is sitting on a dsl
line.. probably isn't hurting them too much either.. but blah blah, i know..
it adds up.. the overall effect of the net.. blah blah..   There were 80
billion spams sent yesterday with embedded images.. )

In summary: Keep sending the faq to the list, but it should be added to the
welcome email when you sub to this list.. that is the best way to communicate
it to the users.

Or.. get some structure on this list.. Admins, moderators.. etc.. let them
setup a procmail script that sends a direct email to each new subscribers
welcoming them, explaining basic netiquette, pointing out the faq.. warning of
the high volume..    if you have about 10 moderators.. and say 100 people sign
up a day (probably not that high).. thats 10 automated scripts that go out..
of which, maybe 1/2 the users will actually reply.. ok, maybe thats extreme.

</end incoherent rambling>