Samba in var/log/messages

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jul 25 15:50:23 UTC 2004

Am So, den 25.07.2004 schrieb antonio montagnani um 16:56:

> I confirn that what I posted is exactly my smb.conf file.
> I am surprised about no Workgroup declaration but it works and it
> connects to any workgroup (both home and office)

Workgroups are no boundaries, they are just organisation units. Browsing
boundaries are subnets or total different nets.

> Good suggestion about localhost to be allowed
> No idea if I need Wins... ;-)

Depends on your network. Your postings lack this information. If you
have just a 192.168.0.0/24 net, then I would switch off WINS.

> Iptables is on, I can surf my internal network with no problem at all

Switch off iptables internally if you are not sure by inspecting your
rulesets whether they interfere with NMB / SMB.

> This is the output:
> [antonio at Fedora antonio]$ testparm

Nothing wrong in the output. Just the missing allow for localhost.

> Any comment??

Did you check your settings on the Windows[tm] hosts? From the errors
you posted there is something going wrong with a domain master browser.
Do you run a Windows[tm] host as PDC or an AD server? You may use

local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes <-- ONLY if you have no other domain controller
running

to let Samba control the browse management.

>  Antonio

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 17:36:13 up 3 days, 2:24, load average: 0.67, 0.18, 0.10