Running two copies of apache

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sun Jul 25 16:25:48 UTC 2004

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

>>>    Ted> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 11:04 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>>>    >> What tasks need to be done to get a second copy of apache
>>>    >> running on a bog-standard FC2 system?  -- Colin Paul Adams
>>>    >> Preston Lancashire
>>>    >>
>>>    >>
>>>    Ted> 1) Why do you need 2 copies?  Virtual server is what you may
>>>
>>>I don't have enough domain names or IP addresses left.
>>>

>>I think you might have everyone confused.. at least I am.. with virtual
>>servers, you can tell the dns servers to point your domain names to one
>>IP and apache will know which domain is being asked for and send back
>>the appropriate site pages being requested.
>>
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html
>
> Exactly, which is why one should never need two copies of apache running
> on one box. I also stated "what you may want" as original post was
> lacking requirement details :-)

Well, it also has advantages of running 2 apaches on the same machine.
We have a high traffic site hosted on one machine and one apache is only doing
mod-perl stuff and the other apache just serving images.
That was developed before I joined the company, but folks told me that it
*indeed* has a performance gain, because the image-apache doesn't have mod-perl
enabled.

Cheers,
Hannes.