Samba in var/log/messages

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Jul 25 16:54:46 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote/ha scritto, On/il 25/07/2004 17:50:

>Am So, den 25.07.2004 schrieb antonio montagnani um 16:56:
>

>Workgroups are no boundaries, they are just organisation units. Browsing
>boundaries are subnets or total different nets.

Not clear to me what you mean: as my Windows network is called Workgroup
I would expect that it should have been declared also in Smb.conf
And if I check with Swat I see this declaration but the Smb.conf has no
trace of it.Is Workgroup the dafault name of network???
i have to investigate also that Local master options from swat are not
correctly transferred to smb.conf (I had to edit by gedit...)

>>Good suggestion about localhost to be allowed
>>No idea if I need Wins... ;-)
>>

>Depends on your network. Your postings lack this information. If you
>have just a 192.168.0.0/24 net, then I would switch off WINS.

I have this kind of network........WINS have been switched off

>>Iptables is on, I can surf my internal network with no problem at all
>>

>Switch off iptables internally if you are not sure by inspecting your
>rulesets whether they interfere with NMB / SMB.
>

>Did you check your settings on the Windows[tm] hosts? From the errors
>you posted there is something going wrong with a domain master browser.
>Do you run a Windows[tm] host as PDC or an AD server? You may use
>
>local master = yes
>preferred master = yes
>domain master = yes <-- ONLY if you have no other domain controller
>running
>
>to let Samba control the browse management.

I followed your advice.
I didn't check anything on my brand new laptop, I plugged the  network
cable (windows XP professional running on it) as soon I got home....
And I see the requested shares.
Furthermore It seems that any warning in var/log/messages about Samba
disappeared....

--

 Antonio

 Working with  Mozilla 1.7 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2