README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Sun Jul 25 23:24:25 UTC 2004

Hi.

I'm haveing a similar problem using the XFX nVidia GeForce MX 4000
128MB.  I thought it was a card/driver problem because only vesa drivers
work not even the nv drivers. I have installed the latest drivers from
nVidia and I'm using the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel in that box.  Found out
it wsn't a video card problem but my monitors settings in
/etc/X1/xorg.conf. The Xorg.0.log gives me a WW about my monitor not be
divisible by 8??? but no errors with the video card.
Its an old Packard Bell monitor and just can't find the drivers for it.
But I get 2d performance (waste of a great card) with the vesa drivers.

To use the vesa drivers.  in runlevel 3 type

joe /etc/X11/xorg.conf
change the driver under VideoCard0 to "vesa"
press ^+K+X to save and exit and reboot.

Also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what warnings errors you get
might help you locate the problem.