updates

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sun Jul 25 23:40:23 UTC 2004

Lanelle Jacoby wrote:
> I'm running Fedora and am trying to get the patches with up2date.  Its
> telling me that I need to associate to a channel, however when I log
> into the account on redhat there is no channel for fedora.  Any
> suggestions???
>
> Thanks
> Lanelle

Lanelle:

Welcome to Fedora! You may want to learn how to your updates with a tool
called yum. Here's a whirlwind tour of how to get yum configured to do
updates for you:

1. save this file locally: http://fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
2. open a terminal, type su and give it your password.
3. move the yum.conf file to its proper place with this command:
mv /whateverpathyouusedtosaveyumconf/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf
4. update your system with this command: yum update

Hope this helps get you going! There is some more information about how
to use yum to install additional software for your Fedora system at this
web address: http://fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

If you want yum to update your system for you automatically each night,
then this is all you need to do:
1. Click on Redhat -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services
2. give it your root password
3. put a checkmark in the box for yum, and start it. Save and exit.

If you've already tried to log into a redhat network, you may have to do
some minor re-configuration to get up2date working properly again, but
others are better able to help you with that than I am. However, this
article might be of some help:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/

Clint