Thanks from: Test with Chkrootkit

Norman Nunn npnunn at swbell.net
Mon Jul 26 03:21:44 UTC 2004

Scot, thanks to you and others on this.

I now think my system is actually clean.  The activity on this mail list
on security issues in general has been a good learning experience and,
as a result, I have added logsentry and portsentry to my system for
protection and notifications.  I took the suggestion and setup the
aliases to send root's messages to me.

I have also setup chkrootkit to run nightly and mail me the output.  My
system has a Linksys router as a firewall, and the mail list traffic on
that subject prompts me to reconsider implementing iptable.  The router
"incoming log" shows allot of attempts, and I "assume" from Portsentry
input to the logs, that nothing unwanted gets through the router.  There
is that word again.

I also, used the mail list input on ClamAV, and gave it a try.  I am
very careful about what I down load but it identifed a few potential
viruses on unimportant files, not word or mail files.  I have removed
them without any consequences, and plan to setup clamd as a protection
notification from future viruses.  Freshclam is setup to refresh
nightly, and I will consider running "clamscan -r -i" nightly and mail
the output for root to me.

I may be going overboard.

Thanks again
Norm