Upgraded to FC2 last night, now yum fails

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 26 21:09:34 UTC 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 11:17, Clint Harshaw wrote:

>Have you tried starting with the sample available at fedorafaq.org
> and making modifications to it?
>
>Hope this helps,
>Clint

I ran a yum check-updates and it grabbed about a 1000 header files.  I
had other things to do and came back 4 hours later but this is all I
can get out of it now:

[root at coyote yum]# yum check-update
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Error getting file
http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/headers/header.info
[Errno 1] Bad URL: bad marshal data

It may try other mirrors on each invocation, but the error message
remains the same even though I've now totally cleaned out
the /var/cache/yum subdir so it would have to start from scratch.

Yum, when it works, works mostly ok, but when it doesn't want to work,
its a certifiable bitch, and its been way more bitch than helper in
the long view here.  Its virtually single-handedly destroyed my
system twice now, ripping out ghostscript and ALL its dependencies
yesterday and refused to re-install them.  That was my main reason
for even putting the fc2 disks in the drive in the first place.

But, it comes closer to working than up2date:
 [root at coyote yum]# up2date
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 1271, in ?
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 882, in main
    from up2date_client import gui
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/gui.py", line 16, in ?
    import gtk
  File "/usr/share/rhn/__init__.py", line 43, in ?

ImportError: /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
pango_fc_font_map_cache_clear

Does that offer a clue?

Or synaptic, which IIRC has a problem with this same file, and I now
have all links named libpangoxft.so pointing
to /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.399 in an attempt to fix that.

If this is suppoed to be an FC2 install, how many of the older
python2.x trees can I prune in /usr/lib?

Right now, I feel like Jimmy Buffet, its got to be 5 oclock somewhere.
Hell, its even 5:09pm here!

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.