sendmail user name and password authentication

Olga olga at urbantimes.net
Mon Jul 26 21:14:04 UTC 2004

>      I just found out to while writing this, that this file can't be
> found (/etc/mail/userdb.db) I decided to see if all the files that were
> specified below actually existed, and this one didnt.  Could this be a
> problem or is this normal?

I am not sure if this relates to your question, but here are my two cents.
Are you using sasl or sasl2 for authentication? The file only exists (in
my case /etc/sasldb2) if I add users to it (sasldb2 -c username, then give
password). To list all users for sasl2, type sasldblistusers2 at command
prompt (or sasldblistusers for sasl)

To check if the mail server requires authentication, type
telnet localhost 25 and then ehlo localhost. If it is enabled you should
get the following:

[root at annubis mail]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 annubis.mydomain.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11; Mon, 26 Jul 2004
15:59:55 -0500
ehlo localhost
250-annubis.mydomain.net Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], pleased
to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
quit

The line about auth is 250-AUTH and then the list of all mechanisms that
you enabled.

Hope this helps.