Win4Lin (was: Re: AutoCAD Alternatives -- revisited)

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Tue Jul 27 05:17:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 17:17, Timothy Payne wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:58, John Thompson wrote:
> > Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> >
> > > As a followup to the discussion last week, I have since learned read that it
> > > is possible to run AutoCad under Win4Lin. Gory details here:
> > > https://www.netraverse.com:9100/lists/win4lin-users/List.html
> > > and run a search for Autocad.
> > >
> > > Disclaimers: Win4Lin isn't free ($90). I've never used it, nor do I know
> > > anyone that has. It only works on Win 9x. Linux support is for 2.4 kernels --
> > > RedHat is supported, but nothing about Fedora.
> >
> > Actually, there is support for Fedora Core 1.  Precompiled kernels are here:
> >
> > http://www.netraverse.com/member/downloads/files/Kernel-Win4Lin3-Fedora1.0smp_2.4.22.12174-01.i686.rpm
> > http://www.netraverse.com/member/downloads/files/Kernel-Win4Lin3-Fedora1.0_2.4.22.12174-01.i686.rpm
> >
> > Patches for other kernels, including 2.6.x kernels are here:
> >
> > http://www.netraverse.com/member/downloads/kernel_patch.php
> >
> > --
> >
> > -John (john at os2.dhs.org)
> > But will it work for core 2?  I have a request in to them but I saw something about needing ver. 5.0 or above to use 2.6
> Tim...
>
> PS I'll post their reply, if any.

Time: 26-7-2004-7:26
 : Hello Tim,

Thank you for your inquiry. Win4Lin 3.0 isn't supported on the 2.6
kernel series. To run Win4Lin on the latest distribution releases that
use the 2.6 kernel, you need to upgrade to
Win4Lin 5 (5.1.10 or later). You can find upgrade information and
pricing at http://www.netraverse.com/upgrade/