problem with all fedora2 update kernels, scsi, & usb

William W. Austin bill at 34.mumb.atln.nrcrgais.dsl.att.net
Tue Jul 27 14:08:02 UTC 2004

Thanks for the suggestions -

On 07/27/2004 08:22:10, James Wilkinson wrote:
> William W. Austin wrote:
> > I am having an ongoing problem with all of the fedora update
> kernels
>
> > and have run out of ideas to try.  The original fedora 2 kernel
> (2.6.5-
> > 1.358) runs fine.  However, ANY update kernel or the 2.6.7 which I
> > downloaded and built exhibit the same behavior.
> >
> > On my systems (essentially identical except for scsi controller)
> > [gigabyte ga7nnxp, adaptec 29160 or adaptec 2940uw, 1gb memory,
> root
> on
> > hdc], the scsi drives are detected at boot, but as soon as the usb
> > modules are loaded, the system cannot find /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1,
> etc.
> > and after a timeout I get thrown into the "enter root passwd to do
> fsck
> > and fix the system" routine.
> >
> > If I disable usb altogether on the MB I can boot any of the
> kernels.
> <snip>
> > Running without usb on these boxen is not an option.
>
> I find myself saying this a lot recently, but have you tried Linus'
> 2.6.7 from kernel.org? Does that have the same problem?
>
> If the problem remains on 2.6.7, then try Linus' 2.6.5. Repeat until
> tired (or you're happy with the outcome).
>
> Then try bugzillaing the appropriate organization.

Actually I forgot to mention that I did all of the these - the problem
occurs with the 2.6.7 kernel but not the 2.6.5.  There was some change
to the USB drivers in there which *may* have something to do with the
problem.  Also I did bugzilla the problem, albeit only on the redhat/
bugzilla site (bug # 126391).  FWIW, I've gotten email from about 8-10
other folks who  have the same problem or a variation on it :-(, but I
haven't heard back from the developer assigned to look at it on the
bugzilla list.

>                        | (b) The Great Seal?
>                        |     -- '1066 and All That'

FWIW, The battle of Hastings, Willy the Conqueror, etc. always sticks
in my memory due to its use in crossword puzzles :-)

Thanks,

William Austin
satisfied hammer owner #1,476,234