ATI 8500 3D -- Solved!

Peter Hutnick fedora at hutnick.com
Tue Jul 27 14:10:51 UTC 2004

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> If I disable DRI in the config file, and load the fglrx module, X works
> fine.  [. . .]

I took my PC apart last night to see if I could get any helpful info off
the video card (i.e. manufacturer or something).  (And to vacuum it out.
  Blech.)  No dice.

I'd been toying with the idea of fiddling with the BIOS settings to see
if it had any effect.  I chose the "set to failsafe defaults" option and
rebooted.  Same black screen.  I rebooted and did "set to optimal
defaults" and then fiddled some settings back to where I wanted them.

X came up.

I ran glxgears.  They were spinning like little madmen.  >1k frames.
Bingo.  It kept working after another reboot.

For what it is worth it is a 1.3 GHz celeron (Tualatin) on an MSI mb
with some VIA chipset.  I know that AGP does some freaky stuff with
memory, so it might be relevant that it is a 1GB system.  If anyone
wants any more specifics (i.e. you are reading this in the archives . .
.) email me and I'll get you the info.

Vega Strike turns out to be a disappointment.  Armagetron is pretty
cool, though!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

-Peter