New FC2 Intall Problem

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jul 27 14:44:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:02:45AM +0100, Davido02 wrote:
> Ive just finished a new install of FC2.
>
> All goes well right up untill final reboot and then screen corrupts and
> pc locks up entirely.
>
> Because of the corruption I suspect that the monitor settings are not
> correct but having said that the settings were correct for my monitor
> (ASTVision7L) I *tried* to check that setting by stating the install
> again but it definitely set ok . I tried the generic monitor setting
> with same result and revert back to the 7L selection but all im getting
> now is vertical green lines on white background
>
> Im wondering if a. im doing enough to reset the monitor settings and b.
> wht is the correct way to sort this out without having to completely
> reinstall FC2
>
> Thanks
>
> David

If you mean the final boot after the installation finishes then most
of the booting process occurs with out X being used (especially if you
remove rhgb) from the kernel line in grub.conf. That the pc locks
immediately is bad news and I don't think it has any thing to do with
the monitor settings which worked during the install.

I fought with similar problems during an install and you might try at
a re-install try typing: linux ide=nodma

at the boot prompt. This is explained in the following web page:
http://www.exocore.com/technologies/linux/rhl71dma/
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University