How to Configure Qmail on Fedora Core 1 Server

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jul 27 15:06:07 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 27.07.2004 schrieb Fritz Whittington um 16:51:

> At least one point, which is major to me :-)  Buried in the sample
> configuration file for dovecot is a comment that the refusal to serve
> mail for root is compiled into the binary, no matter that it seems to
> allow for it in the configuration.  I have a small private network of 5
> machines in my office, and I wish to read *all* my email from several
> accounts in one Mozilla profile running on a Windows 2000 machine
> (mostly because it's by far the fastest of my lot).  Even if there
> *were* any possible security issues here (which I am convinced there are
> not), I don't like this decision taken out of my hands.  (I suppose I
> could hack the dovecot sources and re-build it.)  But it's simpler to
> use qmail, which has a configuration option for this.  (I am willing to
> *briefly* debate the security (non-)issues of this, if anyone cannot see
> for themselves;  but I refuse to debate any "political" issues about
> FOSS, Dan B., or etc/usw.)

Right, a debate about DJB's habit would lead to nothing ;)

But I can't understand your argument against dovecot. It is a good and
custom practice to alias the root account to a normal unprivileged user
account. This is done in the aliases file which is respected by the MTA.
The IMAP/POP3 daemon has nothing to do with it.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 17:01:07 up 1 day, 2:07, load average: 0.99, 1.29, 0.91